16 February 2012

Sunway’s AUSMAT students ahead of the game

20 Australian Matriculation Programme (AUSMAT) students achieved an ATAR of 99 and above while 147 students achieved an ATAR of 90 and above in the 2011 AUSMAT WACE examinations recently from a cohort of 400 odd students. The students produced astounding results that reflects the quality of the Sunway AUSMAT programme and the dedication and commitment of the teachers in educating the students. In addition to that, 8 Sunway students received the special certificate of distinction award for five subjects out of a total of thirteen subject awards. The students were recognised for appearing within the top 0.5 per cent of those sitting in the WACE examination in the world.

Zhang Wei Ng and Say Ting Toon were highest in Accounting and Finance while Radhika Divya Chelliah in Career and Enterprise. The English masters, Jun Hwang Chan and Pauline Lim Wen Jun were top in English while Nicholas Keevan Rajah and Uhendran Subpramaniam aced the WACE examinations in English as an Additional Language & Dialect leaving Alliyza Esther Qin Shi Lim to top Psychology.

From left to right: Uhendra, Eunice, Alliyza and Nicholas.

Nicholas said, “I feel proud having achieved top scorer of AUSMAT Sunway, the biggest AUSMAT provider in the world. I was surprised as I did not think the exams were easy but I knew I had to go through it in order to attain success.” Nicholas said the internal examinations were a lot harder compared to the finals as the Sunway AUSMAT lecturers were strict when it came to marking. This motivated him to work harder for the finals. Speaking about his experience being part of the Sunway AUSMAT programme, Nicholas said it was an unforgettable experience as he benefited from the programme. Nicholas who preferred exams more than assignments said it was advantageous for him as he was forced to cope with the syllabus and was thankful he had the help and guidance of his lecturers. “Their dedication made learning interesting for me and helped me with my journey towards personal development. I had to learn to be systematic and organised throughout my course of study in Sunway. Nicholas will be pursuing his studies in Bachelor of Commerce and majoring in Accounting under a JPA Scholarship in the University of Auckland, New Zealand.

Elizabeth Lee, Executive Director of Sunway Education Group shaking hands with Nicholas, while (from left to right) Uhendran, Vanitha, Deputy Director of AUSMAT, Alliyza, Eunice and Ruma Lopes, Director of AUSMAT looked on.

Uhendran who is also a JPA scholar said he felt honoured to come out top in English as an Additional Language of Dialect. He shared, “My experience studying AUSMAT has truly been enriching especially during the I CARE AUSMAT assignment. We were required to approach people and persuade them to make a contribution in exchange for an item such as food. The fun and excitement that I gained from the assignment reflects a true Sunway AUSMAT experience.”

Alliyza said she is proud of her achievement and was pleasantly surprised but content all her hard work finally paid off. Alliyza said, “The AUSMAT teachers are very committed as they would make time for us every time we wanted to see them or ask them a question. I used to call my Psychology lecturer, Ms Jane if I needed assistance and clarifications about something. Through her guidance, I was able to understand things easily and I thank her for that.”

Eunice Lee Chao Ying who scored an ATAR of 99 and above said the Sunway AUSMAT programme is a knowledge gaining experience. “I recall being very timid when I first started the programme. However, through many oral presentations, I gained confidence and it helped me with my public speaking abilities,” she said.

No comments:

Post a Comment