02 December 2014

Top in the World Sunway A-Level Students

At the recent Cambridge International Examinations (CIE) Outstanding Cambridge Learner Awards (OCLA) ceremony, 35 Sunway College Kuala Lumpur A-Level students were awarded certificates for their excellent performance in the June 2014 Cambridge examination series.

The students’ impressive success this year saw 30 receiving Top in the World, 4 Top in Malaysia and 1 Best Across Three Cambridge International A Levels awards.

Group photo-lecturers and students with Dr Ben Schmidt, Regional Director, Southeast Asia & Pacific, Cambridge International Examinations; and Ng Kim Huat, Senior Schools Development Manager, Malaysia, Cambridge International Examinations

Cheong Meng Chuan, who received the Top in the World for Mathematics, AS Level was accompanied by his parents. When asked how he felt, he said, “I was not expecting this award. But I believe hard work is the key to be top in the world. I kept pushing myself in completing all the past year exam papers, I did at least three times for each paper. I also have much to thank Ms Wong Sock Leng and Mr Lee Choo Sik (my Math teachers) for their sincere guidance and care.”

“I chose Sunway College A-Level because of its reputation of producing excellent A-level results”, said Cheong who will be getting his A2 results in January and thereafter hope to continue a degree in accounting in Singapore, Hong Kong or Australia.


His proud father Cheong Kah Hoe said, “I’m very happy and proud of my son. He has been very hardworking and brilliant in Mathematics. I will support him fully in his future endeavours.”

Teng Wai Li, recipient of 2 awards, the Top in the World for Mathematics A Level and Best Across Three Cambridge International A Levels said, “I am happy and certainly surprised in getting this award as this is a unique and special award. I am and will forever be grateful to my lecturers, particularly Ms Amy Khoo and Mr Lee Lip Seong, who have been very supportive in my studies. Coming from Melaka, they have been very generous and gracious to me for making me feel like I belong, sometimes they even took me out for meals.”

Teng is currently pursuing a 4 year undergraduate programme, Quantitative Finance and Risk Management at the Chinese University of Hong Kong. He received the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region Government Scholarship which covers full tuition fee. “My parents support my living expenses. Studying in Hong Kong keeps me competitive because of the intensive study environment”, he adds.

His proud and happy parents Teng Sin Kee and Gan Siew Lay were glad that they chose Sunway College, “We think that this was the right decision because of the helpful and dedicated teachers. The study environment is also safe and conducive for him. For our child being away from home, his safety is our main concern and Sunway College campus gave us the assurance we need.”

3 students from Sunway College Johor Bahru were also at the ceremony with 2 receiving Top in the World and 1 Top in Malaysia awards.

All the award winners received their certificates from Encik Abd Halim bin Ismail, Director of Private Education Division, Ministry of Education, Malaysia and Dr Ben Schmidt, Regional Director (Asia Pacific) Cambridge International Examinations. Also present at the ceremony was Ng Kim Huat, Senior Schools Development Manager, Malaysia for Cambridge International Examinations.

Overall, in the June 2014 examinations, Sunway College A-Level students achieved 100% pass rate. Consistently over the years, Sunway A-Level students have done exceptionally well in the Cambridge GCE A-Level examinations.

The Cambridge GCE A-Level Programme is one of the pre-university programmes offered at Sunway College since 1994. Sunway College is only one of three centres nationwide to be accorded the elite status of a Fellowship Centre. This status is accorded to a centre that provides a superior delivery system that produces excellent results in the biannual examinations.

No comments:

Post a Comment