07 September 2015

Sunway College Student Council Spread Cheer at Trinity Home

Twenty students from the Sunway College Student Council paid a visit to Trinity Home in Petaling Jaya. For their visit the students brought the children stationery items which were bought with funds raised from a charity bazaar and donation drive organised by the Student Council. The funds were also channelled towards paying for ten school going children’s Parents Teachers Association (PIBG) fees.

After spending some time playing games with the children at the home, the Student Council members chaperoned and paid for eight children to experience an afternoon at Discoveria - an interactive, hands-on learning centre at Avenue K, Kuala Lumpur. There, asides from learning about dinosaurs in particular, the children engaged in wall climbing and paintball. Their day out completed, the kids were treated to a meal back at the home with a sharing session to end the day. The sharing session had everyone, including the Student Council members talk about their day’s experience.

The Sunway College Student Council members together with the children at Discoveria

Grace Ting Soon En, Director of Academic Affair of the Sunway College Student Council, found that fundraising for their cause was not an easy task. “It requires courage and commitment to get things done. Most people will show you a reluctant face when you approach them with a donation box. Yet, my team mates and I learned to take care of our manners even upon being turned down by people,” explained Grace who is in the A-Levels programme.

“I also learned time management. As most of us were from different programmes, our timetables were different too but we managed to get things done smoothly without any problems. Within a very limited amount of time, we managed to raise quite a bit of money”, she added.

The Sunway College Student Council members with the children of Trinity Home

For Cecilia Ling, Director of Community Service, she felt “The children unselfishly shared their joy with us in simple things such as when playing games. The initial intention of the visit was to add more memorable experiences in their lives through the different activities planned. However, they were the ones who actually taught me lessons. The lessons of being grateful of current opportunities and to persevere in the face of obstacles. What I learned exceeds anything I had brought to them, if anything in the first place.”

Angel Johnny Ting, Vice-President who is also currently pursuing her A-Levels has this to say of her personal experience, “This is actually my first time organising and also participating in such an event. I’m so glad that I joined and have no regrets. I’ve learned a lot of things, especially my commitment towards my team members and facing the problems we encountered during the time. I also realise how lucky I am to have my own parents and live in such a comfortable environment that I don’t have to worry about anything. Visiting the home somehow changed me. Although they have difficulties, they never show signs of giving up nor any negative thoughts. In fact, I believe they always face their challenges with a positive mind. Those children instilled a sense of compassion in me. Now, I have an optimistic approach towards my life. I value everything in my life and thank God for whatever He has given me.”

For the Student Council members, through the sharing sessions and the smiles on the children’s faces, they realised that they had made a small impact in the lives of the children and that bringing happiness to someone is not that difficult. In unison, the Sunway College Student Council members agreed that, “We were glad that we did this and made a small difference in someone’s life”.

No comments:

Post a Comment