21 July 2015

The New Sunway College Student Council

The Sunway College Student Action Team in a modest ceremony, was unveiled rebranded as the new Sunway College Student Council (SCC). The ceremony also introduced the new SCC representatives.

“Your role will have its advantages, most importantly it will prepare you and help hone valuable people skills that will put you in good stead for life. The Student Council is a platform for student participation integral to the development of staff-student relations. Here, you will prove yourselves to be a valued source to the management, lecturers and students. It is good training as you will be dealing with not only the college management, but with your peers where you will represent them and, I trust that you will represent them to the best of your abilities,” said Dr Elizabeth Lee, Senior Executive Director of Sunway Education Group and Sunway University in her address.


Yoon Peili in her speech paid tribute to all who have contributed and helped her during her tenure as President of STACT, saying that the experience gained were invaluable and the best highlights of her college life. She wished Tee and his team all the best, leaving them with a piece of advice - the key to successful leadership is influence not authority. Incoming Student Council President Tee Boon Ping was both excited and privileged to be given the opportunity, “It was a huge surprised when I found out I was selected. It has never crossed my mind that I would be President of the Student Council.”

“As President of the Sunway College Student Council, I am not sure how much I could, or would even try to change Sunway College as it is already a great place.

What I will do is my best in every task and duty. This coming year, we aim to help Sunway College Student Council be the bridge to link the students and the management of Sunway College, and to bring the college students together through joint-initiatives with other student leadership bodies, clubs and societies.”


With a request to his council members, “Don’t walk in front of me, I may not follow; don’t walk behind me, I may not lead, just walk beside me and be my friend.

Nothing is perfect, there is room for everything within us and around us. I believe we will be able to contribute to the campus and serve the students bearing in mind our common goal”, says Tee who is currently in his first year in the Victoria University Bachelor of Business programme.

Secretary Ryan Lee, currently in the Canadian International Matriculation Programme (CIMP) designed the SCC’s new logo. The rationale for the design, he said inspired by nature especially bees and the way they work together for the good of the hive, which at first was four parallelograms and then evolved into the current logo which resembles an arrow. “The arrow, which points to the right signifies that the SCC is always moving forward, indicating that we are visionaries“, said Lee.

Together with Tee and Lee, the Sunway College Student Council is made up of 15 students from the various pre-university and Victoria University programmes.

No comments:

Post a Comment